Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 22: Something You Wish You Were Better At

Oh, this list could be SO long. But since I was long and wordy yesterday I will just pick one thing on my list of 5,000 things I wish I was better at.

Right this second I really wish I were better at being a mom. This last week has been long and rough and yesterday may have been just about my worst day ever as a mother. Avery is a really difficult 2-year-old and Oliver requires a lot more attention (meaning he needs to be held) than Avery ever did as an infant. This being the case I spend most of my day going from one screaming child to the other just trying to achieve a few minutes of calm. I feel like I have no patience, no energy, and I never seem to be able to just sit and play with my kids since when they are being good I hurry to do things like the dishes, or blogging, and then there is guilt. I've always loved being a mom, but this week has made me wonder why I am suddenly so bad at it.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

It's such a roller coaster. Some days are so good and you think you can do anything...there's a sense of peace. Then there are others (the majority of the time!) where you feel like you're operating in survival mode just to make it until daddy gets home or until the kids are in bed and you can finally have some time alone to rejuvenate (this is when I escape through my books). I miss you guys and can't wait to see little Oliver!!!

Gina said...

I think once you have more than one kid you're really a stressed out Mom, there's not much choice. I should be reminding myself about this since my number 4 is about to pop out. One kid just isn't the same. You're not bad at being a mother, it's called having kids with different temperments and you are one person who can only do so much. Should I tell you that 3 was harder than 2 kids? Nah! You'll get there.

Gina said...

I meant "temperament". I will add that almost every mother wants to be a better mother, it's what makes us Mom. I know you're awesome.

Kate said...

Did you know that Oliver is smirking at the camera? It looks pretty silly coming from a baby.

Jennifer said...

Oh Kathryn. We all have days and sometimes those days even turn in to weeks where we wish we were more patient, kind and capable. I know you are a good mother and I hope you can hang in there. Two little ones is a tough time! LOVE you.

Angela said...

Two kids are tough and your two kids don't make it any easier. Still, you'll figure out a balancing act that is sufficient to maintain your sanity. Anything more than that you can enjoy in retirement. :)