Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 14: Someone You Could Never Imagine Your Life Without

This topic seems to tempt fate just a little bit too much for me. I am almost afraid to talk about someone that I can't imagine losing, because then that opens the doors for a serious trial option. I am not generally superstitious, but I just can't do this one. So instead I am going to talk about someone I could not imagine having lived my life without thus far. I have had so many good examples and great friends in my life so I had to think hard about someone who has really influenced me and who I think I would have left a great hole in my person. I picked:
Lisa. What is a little sad is that this is one of the only pictures I have of us together.

When I moved to California at the age of 14 I had a VERY hard time. I did not want to leave Washington, most of the girls in my new ward were not very nice to me, and, being semi-socially retarded, I didn't really know how to make friends. I was angry and sarcastic and mostly just grumpy for about a year and a half. Lisa and I were not friends right away. She was in my ward but most of the girls there, and at school, had all grown up together. Do you know how much fun it is trying to break into a group of teenage girls who have known each other their whole lives? Anyway, I actually went through a couple of pretty good friends, who discarded me after a few months, before Lisa picked me up. I don't even know how we became friends. When I look back on it she was just suddenly there. She helped me be the happier version of myself, she was someone with whom I could raise my personal standards and not be made fun of, she was encouraging, and she was so talented I suddenly realized that learning to sew and playing the piano were not old fashioned hobbies but talents that would be incredibly useful in the near future. Of the good friends that I made in California, and in the end it was a good number, Lisa is the only one I still talk to. I still think of her as my best friend. We can not talk for 2 years at a time, and we have done just that, and then pick up the phone and chat like we were together last week. I don't know what kind of moody, unhappy, and possibly inactive person I would have been if Lisa had not found me.

3 comments:

jenn said...

Well, thank goodness Lisa found you. She is a pretty terrific person. I have always loved her positive and happy personality.

Lisa said...

I thought about you all yesterday realizing that since you were in China I should have planned ahead with the whole mail system instead of doing the normal birthday phone call thing. I felt guilty. And then, I got on today to check your blog and see if I should leave a birthday comment instead of a late birthday email (still feeling guilty) and I see this post. My goodness. You are the best best ever. You are the girl that taught me that knee-length shorts could look good, that dresses were fun to wear, that I didn't have to fawn over stupid boys all the time, that I didn't have to plaster make up all over to look good (I do now), and that reading was cool - just to name a few. Plus, you made me feel good about myself - that is the best gift ever. I am so glad that we haven't given up on our long-distance friendship and that you still love me after I didn't contact you on your birthday. But wait...you wrote this before my bad. well, I can hope. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE MOST BEAUTIFUL 30 YEAR OLD EVER!!!

Angela said...

I love Lisa too. Good pick.