Saturday, October 2, 2010

A taste of home

Avery and I were walking down the streets of GuangZhou when she suddenly veered off course and ran into a store. I don't know why she picked that particular spot or if she really recognized it, but it was in fact a Starbucks. A very western, yummy smelling, over-priced beverage serving Starbucks. She ran right past the line of customers and around the corner to find herself a seat at an empty table. She climbed up and then demanded a treat. We had just eaten and I don't know how she knew that a Starbucks would even have treats for her. But she was so happy in her chair and seemed like she just wanted to have a nice little rest, so I bought a marble pound cake and an orange juice. It is just as overpriced here in China as it is in the States. Avery was delighted, ate her treat, drank her juice, and then we headed for the bus stop. It was as if she had been making Starbucks stops her whole life. Weird.

2 comments:

jenn said...

I love that she walked right in and found a seat! We saw starbucks in the caribbean too- they are taking over the world. In fact- we saw more starbucks than McDonald's this trip!! Do they sell caramel apple cider so you can have a little taste of fall?!!

Angela said...

You can take the girl out of the West, but you can't take the West out of the girl. FUNNY STORY.

This is why blogging is great. Now you have a journal entry (of sorts) and will never forget this moment.