Sunday, June 1, 2008

Brother's Smell Like Poo

This is what I get for asking for people's opinions. BOTH Ben and David have complained to me that my list of baby names does not have a "none of the above" option. Like typical boys they have plenty of complaints about my names, but no alternatives to offer. I realize that the names are not typical, that was intentional. Joe, being a Joe, does not want to pick a name that is used too frequently. I remember our sister Jennifer complaining that every class she was in had 5 Jennifers in it. We WANT more rare names. The trick is avoiding weird in search of rare.





(Brothers David, Nathan, Jon, and Ben)

I realize that some of the names seem boyish; they call this UNISEX! I did not search boys lists for a name for my girl. So, yes, Sloane, Riley, Avery, and Harley are girls names too! Some of the names we picked came from a list of Irish names since Joe's family is predominately Irish. The exceptions to this are Irelynd (totally American), Savannah (Spanish), and Shelby (Old Norse).

The names that seem to get the most derision are Irelynd, Harley, and Shelby. I realize that Irelynd is odd in spelling but we wrote out Ireland and it seemed too homage to the homeland. I was surprised when I googled Irelynd that this is actually not a new way to spell this name. Harley, believe it or not, was a name for a person before it was a name for a bike! And Shelby is not just a car either! Boys. Silly.

Joe and I are still open to ideas for names if anyone wants to volunteer any. But don't call me up to whine if you can't give me a better idea! And, Ben, I checked "Freakonomics" and I am not naming my kid Lucien, Glynnis, Beatrix, Ronem or Oona!

I feel like I should mention that, as of now, Jon and Nathan are not on the "smell like poo list." But that can all change at a moments notice.

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I can understand where Joe is coming from. I think it's great you're looking at unusual names. With a common last name like Jackson, I think rare is definitely a great way to go.

I'm a little surprised you'd opt for an odd spelling like Irelynd. I would have thought a lifetime of having your name misspelled would deter you from that. It's a beautiful name, but I'm not sure I like the spelling. (I have a friend who wants to name her baby Ashleigh if it's a girl.)

I knew a woman named Sloane, and there are little girls in my ward named Avery and Shelby. I like those names. Harley is cool too, but you'll probably have people asking constantly if your husband is a biker. I wish I could vote twice on your name poll. I voted for Sloane, but I really like Savannah as well.

Anonymous said...

I voted for Irelynd but I also want to say I love Avery and Harley!!! I think you guys have a great selection of names going. Your brothers must like to pick on you...some things never change, right?

Dad said...

Sure glad that I didn't make that "Smell Like Poo" list. And not only have I voted on my favorite name, I plan on stuffing the ballot box!

Dad said...

Ok, probably just moved to the "Smell Like Poo" list, but I've voted for my favorite name a second time! But hey, no one said that I couldn't vote more than once....I did come up with one name last night, but Mom and Nate didn't think it would make the voting list

Juniorunt

Yup, no doubt about it, I just made the "Smell Like Poo" list.

Scooter said...

My vote is Riley and I'd make the middle name Ann. But that's just me. I didn't have a say when it came to naming the girls...

The Jacksons said...

I said Riley's middle name should be Anne too, but Joe doesn't like the name. Poo.

Micah said...

I'm sorry, Sloane has two meanings for me: (1) Alias's forever bad guy, (2) and Ferris Bueller's girlfriend. Are those references you want your daughter tied to?? I think not.

Harley is out. Elizabeth is right, people will think Joe is a biker. Motorcycles are too prevalent.

Riley and Avery are totally cute. It is easier for me to accept Riley as a girl's name than Avery, but I could get to loving either.

Savanna Gray gets my vote! :)

Unknown said...

No no no. It has to be Irelynd. I am currently in Ireland, believe me, anyone who knows of the beuty here will associate that with her name. Plus am looking for something special for her and then she will grow up wanting to travel to the place of her ancestors and learn and grow from those experiences!
there is meaning, not just a "cool" rare, in Irelynd.