Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sanity Day

There is a small group of us who try to get together once a week for a sewing day. That is how it started anyway. We wanted a chance to get together to visit and have our kids all play together while we worked on a skill for self improvement. After only one week most of us realized that we didn't want to be limited to just sewing. We could all think of other projects that we wanted to work on. I want to learn how to make hair bows for Avery and paint a canvas or two for my walls that are still empty after 4 1/2 years in this house. So we decided that it really should be called Craft Day. That leaves it much more open. After this week I have a new name for it: Sanity Day.

The fact is that when I am at these little gatherings I get only a fraction done of what I would normally get done during one of Avery's naps when I am all alone. Most of my time is spent chatting, comparing craft stories, meeting new people, and really this is all fine with me. With Avery's changing behavior, and by this I mean her stubbornness and need to do things without me, I find that I am more easily frustrated. This gets even more pronounced if we have to spend day after day with just each other. A chance to gather with a bunch of other kids around her age is a huge break for the both of us.

So this is what our gatherings are for me now: a break from the norm to preserve my sanity. I get a little work done, I get great input on projects, and I get a huge break from keeping Avery out of trouble in my little house. Hooray!

3 comments:

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Sounds like fun! Can I come to craft day? I'm putting together a craft night once a month where I select the project buy all the materials and then people rsvp and come with $$ to pay for the craft! But I'd love a once a week thing so if I can I'd love to tag along! Let me know!

jenn said...

Every mother needs a sanity day. Even if you are not a mother- a break from the norm with people you like to talk to is truly a treat. I'm glad you've found a way to stay sane!

Angela said...

YAY SANITY DAY! I'm pretty sure that Saturday is my sanity day from the work week. I didn't get my usual Saturday break week before last. I was not a happy camper.