Friday, October 30, 2009

Scare on the Square

Joe and I both enjoy walking around downtown areas. It can be a nice big city like Dallas or sometimes it is even nicer when it is a smaller city like McKinney. We like the old buildings and the way they are renovated to house new fun stores or places to eat. We think that you can find some of the coolest places to shop in such areas. Due to the weather, Joe and I had to keep postponing our outing to Old Downtown McKinney. The day before Halloween the weather finally cleared up and we decided to venture out. What luck that we did!

When we arrived everything looked fairly normal. Spiffy restaurants, cool old hotels, antiques, boutiques, and lots of other awesome stuff. We noticed a few children in costumes with their parents and thought that it was cute that everyone was feeling so festive. About 30 minutes later we realized we had stumbled upon something amazing. The number of children in costume were increasing and the number of shops blocked by witches, wizards, ghouls and vampires was doing like wise. What we had found completely by accident was McKinney's "Scare on the Square."

How cool is this? Just after 4 o'clock all of the shops shut down and the owners come out all dressed up for the holiday. Then hundreds and HUNDREDS of children with their parents come down and trick or treat from store to store. We were lucky we showed up when we did because not even an hour later there was NO parking and there was a solid line of trick-or-treaters going around the whole downtown area! We saw some of the cutest costumes ever and the festive feeling was making me giddy. Add to that the yummy cake treats I had and I'd call this a marvelous afternoon!

3 comments:

maymey-Old said...

Awesome!

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Oh my goodness...can I just say that my 3 week old wore the same shirt on Halloween! (Little Monster)I hope they weren't the same size...my son is huge!! I'll email you a picture!

Bob and Danya said...

Wow! That's totally cool! What a neat thing for them to do! Luckily you got in on the fun!