Thursday, March 4, 2010

Oh, boy! I've got joy!

I did a hard thing. I accepted a challenge from a friend to have 4 dresses made for a flea market booth they were running this Friday. I didn't really want to do it. I didn't think I was good enough. I was worried that what I was making was only cute to me. I didn't think that I could make 4 dresses in 4 days. Well, I did, and I am feeling dang good about myself.
In our lesson on Sunday the teacher mentioned that instead of using the word proud we should substitute the word joy. Such as: my child brings me joy, instead of I am proud of my child. Guess what? Finishing this task brings me a lot of DANG JOY! The dresses are pretty. I did a good job designing and finishing, and I feel like I have found a talent that I never knew I had all because my dad bought me a sewing machine a month ago.
I love to sew. I love having something beautiful that I created when I am done. I love seeing other people wear what I have made. And, I'm not gonna lie, I love it when people compliment something I have created. I love that I can take on challenges and meet them. I love how it feels to lay down at night and know that you did good work in the day.
I feel great joy in creating beautiful things.

6 comments:

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Yup now I really need to have a girl!!! These are stunning Kathryn! I love love love them! And what a gorgeous little model you have there! So cute! How much to have one or two made for my niece? FYI you're starting a business!

Unknown said...

I love the fabric choice for the one with the orange strip. You really have something there. It has a fossil/anthropology style, which is very popular right now! I bet you could sell those like hot cakes at the flea market.

The Pullins said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I love them all! Have you thought about dresses for adults?! I so would buy one from you!

Ruth said...

I'll take one for Mikayla...wait, how much do you charge?

jenn said...

How many of your readers sang the title do ya think?!! The dresses are super cute Kathryn! It really blows me away that you made up the pattern- that IS a talent. I feel joy looking at your dresses- and personally, the orange one speaks to my heart.

Angela said...

Love the lemons on Avery and I love the first picture of her. ADORABLE. If I were buying for myself, I'd go for the 4T one with orange ribbon.