Monday, June 1, 2009

The Grand Canyon

I finally went to the Grand Canyon! I have lived here for 6 years and this is the first time that I have made it over to this great crack in the earth.Joe and Derek decided to hike the canyon rim-to-rim. That is about 24 miles for anyone who is wondering. Michelle and I drove up to pick them up and maybe camp for the night. This ended up NOT happening since Joe wanted nothing more than a hot shower and a real bed after his troubles. Apparently it is a rough hike of you haven't worked out in about 2 years! But we did get to spend the day at the park and hiking a bit on our own. The weather was blissfully rainy and cold. Such a wonderful break from the Phoenix heat.
I admit that I was surprised when I finally saw the canyon. I feel like in pictures it looks lie it is just a big gaping whole in the desert, all brown and red and dead looking. This could not be further from the truth. It is green and lush, more so because it was raining, and the canyon is hidden much of the time because of all of the trees that surround it. What a shock to me!
It was absolutely beautiful and now I wish that I had done the hike myself. I can't wait to go back and get to spend some real time enjoying the marvel that is the Grand Canyon.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Let me know because I want to go too. I'm sure part of the lush green environment had to do with the time of year and how much rain we've had lately. I bet it was beautiful. Micah is going to be jealous about Joe's hike!

georgia-mom said...

It should be on everyone's "Things to Do Before I Die" list -- you just have to see it in person!
I haven't been back since I was a newlywed, but sure would like to.
That's so cool Joe hiked it.