First, she did not have a name for 24 hours of her life. Joe and I thought we had settled on one but when she came out it did not seem to fit right. We threw out a few more names but I was to tired, or too drugged, to really make a decision. Because the poor little thing was nameless she was given many nicknames in her first day.
The nurses called her Peanut. I think this is funny because Joe was calling her that in the womb.
The pediatrician called her Little Twerp. He meant it lovingly.
I call her Birdie because of the little mouth she makes when she is hungry and because she has skinny little bird legs.
Joe calls her Sweetheart.
Grandma called her Pipsqueak because her newborn cry was really this high squeak that lasted all of 2 seconds. It was cute and heartbreaking at the same time.
Random names like Runt, Monkey, Little Squirt, and Baby Girl have all been used at some point.
All of these because Joe and I could not decide on a name. I told him the next day that it was time to get serious and sit down to pick a name for this little girl and Avery May was decided. I know that Avery didn't win in the poll I had, but I did reserve the right to NOT pick the winning name. My mother and I found out later that Avery means "light and agile bird." I was so excited since I have thought from the beginning that she was a little birdie.
Special thanks needs to be given to Grandma Sauter for coming out to take care of me and Avery for the last 10 days. I miss her already and can't wait to show the rest of my family our new baby.
![]() |
| Make a Smilebox slideshow |




7 comments:
I don't think you ever stop feeling the need to post a million pictures of your baby (ie: my blog!). Don't worry, we all want to see them!! I'm also curious about how the whole experience was for you.
Ruth
(Either I'm rubbing off on you, or you didn't pick the outfits- gotta love the pink and brown!)
Post away! There's no such thing as too many photos. :)
It took us a while to name Nate, too!
Kathryn, she is such a doll (and so TINY). I can't wait to meet her in person.
Thank YOU for letting me come and be a part of the beginning of your baby's life and yours as a new mommy. There's nothing quite like it!
We got some great pictures of such a tiny newborn, didn't we? It helps that she's so beautiful. WE can't get enough either, so keep snapping and posting!
Love the sleeping positions..
Such a cutie! Post a ton of pictures because they grow up so fast! You'll always love being able to go back and see how much she's grown!
We're so excited for you and we really wish we could meet her! She's beautiful...and you look amazing. Good for you!
Cute. Cute. Cute.
Post a Comment