For anyone who has ever been on a road trip, you are probably familiar with signs on the highways that say "Scenic Lookout: 1/2 mile." I cannot tell you how many of these Joe and I have driven by and never stopped at. I am usually just in a hurry to get to where I am going and I don't really care to see a semi-better view of the terrain I have been looking at for the last 5 hours. This all changed when Joe and I drove HW 12 on our way back to Salt Lake. It was gorgeous! I don't know how Joe was able to drive because the view was so distracting. The road was winding around going up and up and the view just kept getting better and better. I think we stopped at 4 lookouts to get pictures of the view. We have NEVER stopped to do such a thing before. We kept thinking how awesome, and terrifying, it would be to bike that road. We passed several biker groups and it just made me want to do it even more. Then we would pass a herd of cows that were 12 inches from the road without a fence to hold them back and I would rethink my notion! I has to be the prettiest drive I have ever been on. I would never want to do it at night for several reasons. One, the cows are black and you would never see it until you hit it. Two, most of the HW has NO guardrail. None. Just cliffs people. Third, you would miss SO much. The trees, the view of the rocky canyon, and so much more!
2 comments:
How do I not know where Hwy 12 is? It looks great and I've made the drive from SLC to PHX on more than one occasion.
My Dad liked to take detours and side roads. What beautiful surprises!
Post a Comment