
The day after "the Wave" we all went to hike Calf Creek. We were supposed to hike some slot canyons that day but there were thunderstorms on the horizon and I didn't particularly want to drown in a flash flood. So to Calf Creek we went. It was not slot canyons, but I was not
disappointed. Again, a beautiful hike and a wonderful destination. Hiking along the river meant that there were lush bushes and trees for shade (thank goodness!) and the tantalizing sound of water to push us to the end of our road. I could not get enough of walking between flowering shrubs and peeking into the totally clear creek to see the little fish just hanging out. I wanted to be in the water LONG before we got to our destination, but that would have been a little inconvenient for my fellow hikers, other hikers on the trail, and
probably the fish. I just kept plodding along until we
finally reached:

I got in the water then, but only up to my knees. It was FREEZING! Derek ended up swimming a bit so he could get some cool pictures, but I guess when your lungs start to seize from the chill it is time to get out. I think I could have stayed there ALL DAY if it weren't for the fact that we did not bring enough food for such an excursion and I was anxious to get back to my baby. But I was not sorry for going on this trip for even one
minute. It was a much needed rest and break for Joe and me both. I didn't even mind that a second hike in as many days meant I got another blister. This was even with good socks and a bunch of fancy tape to prevent such things. Clearly by Phoenix-weather-flip-flop-wearing feat were not prepared for so many days and so many miles in real hiking shoes. Still, worth it!
2 comments:
I didn't know that color green could grow on rocks! Waterfalls and moss accomplish amazing things together. I'm glad you got a few days away. Welcome back!
I'm not sure I would want to leave that waterfall. Wow.
Post a Comment