Saturday, September 5, 2009

Brighton Early

We arrived in Utah at about 11 o'clock on Friday night. My brother, Dave, and his wife, Kristy, were kind enough to let us stay with them. When we got to their place David was already making plans to hike Brighton the next morning up to Lake Mary. Okay, so it was supposed to be to Lake Catherine but most of us called it quits early. Anyway, since Joe and I love to hike, and we were in Utah to enjoy the weather and terrain, we decided to go along. Note: the elevation difference between Phoenix and Salt Lake is CONSIDERABLE!
Within the first five minutes of the hike I think I was sure that my lungs were bleeding. It was steep and I was not prepared for the difference in elevation. I think at one point David was dragging me up the hill. It was worth it though. The trail and the lake were beautiful. Every time I go to Utah I think that I live in the wrong state. Every time we came to a break in the trees we felt like we needed to stop and take a picture of the view. It was so incredible and I can't tell you how nice it was to need a sweatshirt!
Avery was great since she had very little work to do on the actual hike. On the way out David was kind enough to carry her. He and Kristy learned that Avery likes to sing on a down-hill hike and that she can have a grip of iron when she wants something. Kristy picked her a couple of flowers and when we tried to replace them with non-squished ones Avery was having none of it. She had a hold on what she wanted!

1 comment:

Angela said...

I wish we'd known. Our mornings are free. We would've trekked up to make the trip with you. It looks like so much fun!