Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Doctor

We went to the doctor's yesterday. Since Avery is 2 months it was time for her immunization shots. I was anticipating that this would be a difficult visit, but it was easier than I thought it would be. My regular doctor (Dr. Apley) was not available until after vacation so I met with Dr. Scharf. I love him. He says all kinds of things that make me laugh and feel like a good parent.

First, Avery has more than doubled her birth weight! She is a solid 9 lbs. 13 oz. and measures 23 inches long. She went from being in the 3rd percentile for her weight to being in the 25th percentile. WONDERFUL! She had a bit of a runny nose and the Doc. said that it seemed she was fighting a bit of a cold (Dad is sick) but that she is otherwise in great health.

Second, he says she looks like she will be a genius. This falls under the heading of "things he says that make me feel like a good parent." He says that because I talk to her so much, sing to her, and make a lot of eye contact that she will develop very quickly mentally. He thinks she already look smart. I love a good doctor!

Third, shots. The nurse was great at this. Avery had to drink one first, harder than I thought, and then get 3 pokes. I couldn't watch but held Avery's hands and looked at her face. In less than 10 seconds, I am not kidding, it was over. Band-aids on and all. Avery screamed the highest little scream I have ever heard and then she calmed down and just cuddled for a while. She then proceeded to sleep the whole rest of the day, except to eat a few times.

Today she is back to her happy, healthy and normal self and we are enjoying the cloudy and cold weather that has finally rolled in.

P.S. I saw Holly Colton there for her first visit with Maggie. Mom and baby looked wonderful and Josh is so excited to have a sister!

4 comments:

the cakes said...

I am SOOOOO jealous that you got to see Dr. Scharf. Seriously, I think I had a secret crush on him (since I saw him like 20 x a month with all of my dear Nora issues and Kyle's asthma!) Love Him - Miss Him!
I do like Dr. Apley as well. We would see her when Scharf wasn't in the office. Our Doc here is OK - but I do miss a good doctor! Sigh! Tell him we say hello. He'll remember us - where the ones that paid for his daughter's first year of Law School. Ha Ha Ha!

The Jacksons said...

He does remember you. I told him that you have your fourth one now and he says conratulations and good luck in your new home.

Angela said...

No band-aid pictures??

the cakes said...

Ha Ha! I suppose we're too high maintenance of a family to forget.
And guess who is following in her sister's footsteps with all of those rotten food allergies?? Yes, Elecare for 2! Good Grief!