Saturday, December 19, 2009

Just Breakin' Us In

Children have a lot of milestones in their lives. They get their first tooth, they crawl, walk, talk, wave, and many other things that we feel the need to document. I feel that as parents we also have milestones that are meant to break us in to this life of parenthood. There is the first blow-out, fever, big fall, etc., that a baby goes through, but that we must deal with. Last night, or early this morning, Joe and I had a milestone; we had our first midnight run to the emergency room.

Avery woke up around 11 with this TERRIBLE cough that had Joe thinking a dog had snuck into her room somehow. We put her back to bed and she fell right to sleep, but I could not go back to bed without knowing what was ailing my poor baby. Into the car we went and over to Good Sam's ER. 1 hour, several tears, and $100 later, Avery has croup. Nothing to worry about really. I admit that when I heard "croup" I immediately thought of the movie Anne of Green Gables when Anne rushes over to the Barry's house in the middle of the night to save Minnie May from certain death by croup. I know that it is hardly so devastating now, but come on, how can anyone who has seen that movie NOT skip a beat or two while the mind processes the possibilities.

Avery is doing fine now. She is on a steroid to help with the cough and she is super cuddly. I admit to some extra crankiness. But, like I said, she is just breaking us in.

6 comments:

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

That is so crazy you ended up having to go to the emergency after having just gone to the pediatrician to check things out cause you could tell she wasn't feeling well. Grr, that has to be annoying! I hope the little princess is feeling better soon! Giver her a snuggle from me!

maymey-Old said...

Crazy- at least she's feeling better.

Love you,
Megan

jenn said...

Why is my daughter online at 6:38 in the morning?! Sorry- just noticed as I was getting ready to type.

I'm sorry she has croup- I love your Anne story. It's been a long time since I've seen Anne of Green Gables and I've known a lot of babies with croup- so I wasn't as concerned as you. ;) I am sorry that you had to do a late night ER visit- that is NEVER fun, even when they find nothing wrong- which happens. FYI- you will never get broken in to ER visits. They are always hard.

Miss you.

maymey-Old said...

Never seen Anne of Green Gables at all. Also I think the clock was wrong- because I believe it was 7:38, not 6:38.

:) Megan

maymey-Old said...

(Proven- showed up as 9:31, it's 10:31!)

georgia-mom said...

It's hard when you want to cry like a baby but you have to be the grown up. Hope she's all better now.