This photo is not that exciting, but its content is. Basically I broke the law by not applying for a visa for my baby here in China in the first 30 days of his birth. I did not realize that you could apply for a visa with out a passport (you can and you should!) so we applied for his visa 34 days after we should have. So I had a child living illegally in China for more than 30 days and was punished accordingly with SEVERAL visits to their offices an hour away and a 1,000 RMB fine. I got off lucky because the police officer who interviewed me decided that my negligence was completely accidental and not malicious. If he has decided otherwise then he could have sent me and the baby to Hong Kong to wait for a Z-visa to be issued from the U.S. A much more time consuming and costly affair!
2020 Vision
6 years ago



2 comments:
Oh, the things they could have done to you. That's just scary.
Glad you got off easy, but still terribly inconvenient. Ignorance is not bliss!
I don't know how much I want to think of that totally unreadable piece of paper and what it could have meant for you. Glad things are getting worked out and that you are still home with Avery and Joe!
Post a Comment