Friday, August 8, 2008

So...Funny Story

Last night Joe and I walked up the street to a friend's house. The O'Neills are in our ward and have an adorable baby they let me hold most of the time I am there. I had loaned my house key to Stacie, Joe's sister, because she is sleeping here for a couple of nights, so we just took the garage door opener with us to get in and out of the house. I don't think that this is an uncommon practice, people depending on a garage door opener or a code to get into their house. What Joe and I did not anticipate was the storm that would knock our power out for hours.

When we decided it was time to get home, due to the fact that both of us were so tired, we noticed that our neighborhood was dark. Not the whole neighborhood really, just 2 square blocks that included our house. Shoot, the alley across from us had lights on. But, to our dismay, we were without power. For those of you paying attention, this meant that Joe and I were in trouble. How do you get into a garage with a garage door opener if there is no power? Answer: you don't. It is after 10 p.m. and we are calling Stacie to see when she will be coming home with my house key but she could not answer her phone. So it is dark, raining, there is lighting dancing about, and we are locked out. We don't think that we were the only people in such a predicament because there were a lot of cars driving the 2 blocks, pulling up to a garage for a few minutes, and then driving away. There was many a person trying to figure out how they were going to park with the minimal parking me neighborhood provides.

It wasn't really all bad, though. We headed back to the O'Neill's house until Stacie called us and we were finally able to get in, but the power stayed out for hours. It is amazing how hot a house can get in Phoenix in the middle of the night with a storm raging outside. Luckily we had power again this morning and all is well. But I will forever think twice about leaving the house without my key.

4 comments:

Micah said...

You fancy people with garages and garage door openers need moments like this to appreciate how the rest of us live! :)

When are we talking about Breaking Dawn?

The Jacksons said...

Call me.

Andrew said...

Freak is there anyone with out a blog? Kimi and I are doing really well we are going to be back in the states aug 2009. Its going to be fun to see your little girl. https://kimi-isom.blogspot.com

Kimi said...

Katherine, beware. When Andrew and I get back we are on a mission to get you, joe, and the baby to come to China for a year.

It sucks being locked out.